图片
图片
 
图片
图片
图片 图片 图片 图片 图片 图片
图片
 
 
Municipality
 
 
 
Civic History

In July 1927, Special Shanghai Municipal Government was founded, which was schemed to counteract the concessions and join districts such as Zhabei and Nanshi. “Great Shanghai Plan” was then formulated, with the location for the downtown area selected at a spot of about 7,000 mu in what is today the Wujiaochang Area, north of Xiangyin Road, south of Zhayin Road, east of Songhu Road and west of the Huangpu River. No plan for construction of administrative area, commercial area, residential area and corresponding transport facilities including railways, docks and roads was proposed.

The authorities followed Dr. Sun Yat-sen’s teachings after his death, announcing the ‘Plan for Construction of Shanghai Downtown Area’ in July 1929. And thereafter the ‘Plan for Huangpu River Qiujiang Dock’, the ‘Plan for Division of Districts in Shanghai’ and the ‘Plan for Road Construction in Shanghai’. With the completion of the Qiujiang Dock, a system of around 60 roads radiating out from Wujiaochang as the center of the New China Area was constructed. This “Great Shanghai Plan” of 1930s formed the first urban planning for a large city in contemporary Shanghai. Still preserved in the area were a group of time-honored, splendid architectural structures – Town Hall, City Museum, City Stadium and City Library. It was the first overall, large-scale and integrated plan for city development in the history of Shanghai.

图片
 
 
 
  图片 Copyright©Shanghai Yangpu Government All Rights Reserved